Saturday, March 16, 2013

the perks of being a wallflower


 

The perks of being a wallflower has always been one of those books that I truly meant to read, but somehow never got around to it until after I saw the movie. Typically, I prefer reading the book first. You get the true version of the story that the author wanted to get out there, and you can pick up on nuances in the movie that you would otherwise overlook. It makes you feel like one of the cool kids because you know what's coming!

Thanks to seeing the movie first, I spent much of the second half of the book wondering if the big reveal would happen soon, and eventually I started wondering if it would happen at all?!

After seeing the movie and reading the book, I can't help but wish I had read it in high school. Or middle school. I wonder if the words of wisdom that Bill gives our main character about participating, and getting out of your head would have sunk in. I have always been a thinker and a watcher, and I have felt on numerous occasions that opportunities passed me by because I was so busy thinking about the best course of action that I never took any at all. I wonder how different my middle and high school experiences might have been. I almost think I just would have been sad that I didn't have a teacher like Bill in my life!

Overall, I loved them both! This is so rare, but from what I gather Chbosky was heavily involved with the making of the movie, so I strongly suspect that he is to thank for that. Either way, both were beautifully executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment