Monday, January 27, 2014

Change of course!

I think I've been (not on purpose!) avoiding gluten a bit, partly out of habit, and partly due to the gnarly food poisoning/stomach bug I caught. This experiment of mine has been weighing heavily on my mind. I've been debating if I chose to do this because I truly doubted myself and also just missed gluten, or if I chose to do this because I'm caving to societal pressure. 

I guess it was both. But I think it's time for a reevaluation. The first thing that I noticed is that I do feel worse eating gluten. Sometimes it's really bad, sometimes it just makes me want to nap like it's going out of style, and sometimes it doesn't affect me. Sounds an awful lot like how I handle dairy! I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner - to approach gluten like I do dairy. I will avoid it in most circumstances, and happily indulge when it's a special occasion, like a really delicious fresh-baked specialty bread. Or a cookie on a tough day. But hopefully those tough days will be few and far between!

Because the number one psychological change that came about was that I stopped stressing out about what my next meal was going to be. If it was a provided, unspecified meal, I would terrorize myself imagining all of the terrible possibilities. I need to adjust my reactions to it & just accept that if I don't know what I'll be eating that it will either be something I can and want to eat, or I will go get something that I can and want to eat. 

Ahem, so perhaps my six months of eating whatever goal was a little lofty but I have no qualms about swallowing my pride for the sake of feeling better. No more experiment! Back to healthy mostly Paleo eating & hopefully, much less time at my desk resisting the urge to nap. 

2 comments:

  1. No shame in doing what is healthy and right for your body babe. I think it is awesome you made it this far because that gluten can be awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved eating it but it is so rough on my tummy!! Sadly not worth it :(

      Delete