Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Oh the joys of growing up!


We all come across adversity at one point or another, and how you handle that adversity in the workplace will set the tone for quite a bit of your life! Well – at least if you’re anything like me. I spend a considerable amount of time at work every weekday, like most adults, and the kind of day I have at work has a significant effect on my mood for the rest of my day.

I work really hard to leave work at work & not stress about things when I have left the office. To be entirely honest, I don’t make enough to worry about that shit after work! However, we all have circumstances that override even the best of habits.

I have had one of these circumstances popping up more and more frequently lately, and something changed between last night and this morning that turned my attitude around. I realized that I really need to learn to let go of expectations more.

I am a very nice person, and tend to expect everyone to be as nice as I am to me. Well, the reality is that everyone is different! Some people are distracted, which can come across as rude. Some people are standoffish and uncomfortable around other people. I mean, I could sit here all night listing out reasons why people might not appear to be nice right off the bat, but I would never leave this couch!

So my new plan of action is to lower my expectations – and stop assuming that just because someone behaves differently than I might, doesn’t mean that they don’t like me.

And can I just say that with all of this in mind, I had a great day at work! Amazing what a change in perspective can do for you.

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with the actions and attitudes of others as well. Most people are stand off-ish and rude, which gets on my last nerve. But I agree, just because someone has a stick up their rear doesn't mean that they don't like you. If anything, my advice is the avoid them if possible. Oh work...the fun lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo much fun! I so miss the days working at that one place. It may have been an unpleasant experience working there, but some of the people were so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. The work was awful but the people were wonderful. I met you there! I guess when people find both they never leave. :)

    ReplyDelete